Crazy or Not?

I (Bill) got up a little after 4am this morning, doned my golf clothes and headed out the door for the golf course.

I enjoy golfing in the warm sunshine with family, friends and customers.  I enjoy experiencing new courses, their beauty, scenery, the challenge, etc. When I stepped out the door this morning at 4:30am, umbrella in hand, I only made it a few yards beyond the B&B when I realized it was 53 degrees (expecting 58 today), raining sideways as the wind was blowing 25-30 mph. It was then that I asked myself, am I crazy or not? As much as I'd like to play St. Andrews, this was not going to be fun and the weather was from Hurricane Bertha, which found its way here after blasting the east coast of the U.S.

So what did I do - I turned around and went back into the warmth and back to bed. For fanatical golfers, you'll probably think Bill, you're at St. Andrews and didn't golf? Are you crazy? My answer is yes, I may have missed an opportunity, but I'm not crazy. Why would I want to play such a famous course, pay several hundred dollars and not have fun. Instead I spent the day with Karen enjoying Scotland.

We had a wonderful breakfast at 8:30am after getting a little more sleep at the Kinburn House B&B. After our tummies were full, we headed out to tour St. Andrews and small fishing villages along the coast. As you can see, Karen is bundled up while touring, trying to keep dry and warm. Hey, use the umbrella!


We visited many of Scotland's coastal villages along our way. They were lovely even though we only jumped out of the car for a few minutes to take pictures.  These fishermen brave the North Sea and it was definately rough today.



We had a typical Scottish soup, sandwich and crisps (crisps are chips and chips are fries) lunch in one of these villages dotted with flowers everywhere.  Ir seems that leek and potato soup is a staple here as we have had it in several places this week.  Once at the coast, the rain stopped. These flowers were just outside the window where we ate lunch and are typical of the entire street and many small towns all around Scotland.



Although Bill missed golfing, we both had a great time and he was happy with his decision. When we got back late afternoon, the rain was off and on, so Bill treated himself to a St. Andrews Old Course shirt and sweater vest. Before heading back to our B&B, we took a couple pictures for a keepsake.


BTW, like most of you I dislike the price of gas in CA. Today I filled the rental car tank here in Scotland and the price was, hold on, $7.15/gallon - outch! Next time we fill up at home, I guess we need to bite our tongue and be thankful we only pay around $4.00/gallon.

For dinner we went to Little Italy, rated #2 by Trip Advisor and it was great.  We knew it must be good when we went in and they hardly had any free tables.  They managed to find one and the food and service was excellent.



So for now we will say good-bye to St. Andrews until we meet again...I'll be back!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around, Around and Around We Go!

Slowly arriving in Cannes

“The Most Beautiful Spring Garden in the World”